Supercell: an expanded version of Clouds by Mutable Instruments
Clouds, the granular synthesis module from Mutable Instruments, was discontinued in 2017. Supercell brings back Clouds in a more accessible 34 hp form factor, offering an improved user interface and several additional features:
• Each of the Blend parameters (Feedback, Panning, Mix, and Space) have dedicated knobs with their own CV inputs and inverting attenuators (attenuverters).
• The inputs and outputs now have mute switches, stereo VCAs, and separate VU meters. The knobs act as offset controls when their respective VCA inputs are patched.
• A stereo output gain control has been added, providing an additional +6 dB of gain to compensate for low output levels when using certain parameter combinations.
• The complex process of changing the sampling time and managing presets has been simplified with dedicated switches and status LEDs.
• Extensive modulation options for all parameters including direct patching of external CV, distribution of one CV to all parameters via the AUX input, or an internal smooth random CV that is normalized to any unpatched inputs when AUX is also unpatched. The attenuverters control the modulation depth in all three cases. As of firmware v1.01 the internal modulation rate can be adjusted within a range of 1 to 100 Hz.
• The inputs and outputs now include stereo VCAs and separate VU meters. The knobs act as offset controls when their respective VCA inputs are patched.
• Pitch is now controlled by two separate inputs: the V/Oct input is exponential and the Pitch input is linear. When both inputs are used, their voltages are summed.
• A manual Trig switch (for capturing individual grains) has been added, in addition to the Trig input that was present on Clouds.