Many can recall dialing up Midim-g/Midimini patches that fit a song so perfectly that they inspired even greater creativity; shapely, sometimes sinuous sounds whose essence called out to you; emotive sounds you never wanted to change; sounds you lovingly tracked, notated and revered; sounds as vital as the lyrics or lead vocal—that solid, insistent, articulate bounce, bravado, and twangy bang. Was there another sensible, MIDI-driven rackmount choice for immaculate synth bass and lead lines?
December 2019 brings the SE Midimini V30 to the table, and nothing has been lost in the translation of this end-of-decade Analog essential. A raft of brand-new hardware features, extensive software sweetening, and modular connections open the window even wider to an already stunning Analog view.
It's highlight time again:
• Through-hole build: Every. Single. PC board.
• Classic 4-pole, 24 db/oct Lowpass Ladder, with voltage-controlled Cutoff.
• 14 3.5mm (Eurorack) Outs-to-Outs compatible Patch Points, including CV & Gate
• New fancy COLOR vibe: ENV1>OSC2, OSC3>OSC2, Boomstar Hardware Ring Mod & Noise.
• Oscillator 2 Sync: Modulate (sweep) both OSC1 and OSC2 via ENV1>OSC2.
• Amp Drive: Boomstar Modular AMP saturation and overdrive, imported into 'V30 world.
• Output Feedback loop and gain control—interacts expressively with Amp Drive.
• MIDI-syncable, AFM*-capable, multi-waveform LFO, routable to VCO and VCF.
• LFO Out patch point with level control, for deep modulation or oscillation creation.
• LFO Gate: LFO pulse of VCF/VCA from the SE-02.
• OSC 1 Triangle Wave to amplifier, for high Resonance/low frequency compensation.
• Envelope 2 Master Mode: ENV2 (VCA) assumes control of Filter (VCF) Envelope.
• Independent Release control of Filter and Amplifier.
• Flexible Linear and Exponential Glide.
• Front Panel-mounted External Audio input with level control.
• Handy Boomstar Drone feature for eternal sustain and easy tuning.
• Low/Last/High Note Priority, ENV1 invert, VCF/VCA dynamics & VCF (ENV1) • Multi-trigger.
• Boomstar MIDI Learn feature for MIDI, Aftertouch, and Modwheel.