M - Wavetable synthesizer
With M, Waldorf are musically returning to our roots by bringing back classic Microwave and ‘modern’ Microwave II tone generation as a new-generation classic hybrid wavetable synthesizer with an analogue lowpass 24 dB/Oct VCF — SSI 2144 Improved Ladder Type — with resonance and analogue saturation feature, true stereo analogue VCA with panning option, and much more to explore in a desktop-friendly form factor featuring a wide range of unique sounds. Plentiful presets — totalling 2,048 sound programs (divided into 16 banks, each with 128 sounds) — professionally programmed by world- renowned sound designers also include all of the classic Microwave sound sets, such as MW1 Factory Sound Set, MW1 Soundpool 1-5, the fat-sounding Analogue and Bassco, as well as PPG Wave 2.3 sounds cleverly converted for the original Microwave. Moreover, it also features freshly-programmed sounds utilising M’s myriad new features — from true hard Sync (when working in its Modern Microwave II/XT mode) to the ARP (arpeggiator) and MIDI-syncable global LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator).
But beating at M’s musical heart as an eight-voice polyphonic, four-part multitimbral WAVETABLE SYNTHESIZER — as boldly blazoned in red across its full-metal blue- coloured casing, itself hinting at its illustrious Microwave heritage — are two wavetable oscillators with independent wavetable-generating Classic Microwave 1 and Modern Microwave II/XT modes, meaning that the wavetable oscillators behave differently in both of those modes (accessible by pressing the Mode button beside the helpful high-resolution graphic display with four endless encoders for yet more hands-on control). Consequently, there is no hard Sync or ring modulation available in the Classic Microwave I mode, where 16-bit wavetables are bit-reduced to 8-bit and a 240 kHz non-anti-aliased sample rate is offered, whereas the Modern Microwave II/XT mode offers a 40 kHz sample rate with band-limited wavetables, although both oscillators — OSC 1 and OSC 2 — offer the same panel parameters.
• Oscillators: 2 Wavetable oscillators with independent wavetables and two different tone generation models - classic Waldorf Microwave I model and modern Waldorf Microwave II model. 96 Factory Wavetables + 32 slots for User Wavetables
Filter: Analog low-pass 24 dB/Oct VCF (SSI 2144 Improved Ladder Type) with saturation
• Amplifier: Analog stereo VCA for each voice
Envelopes: 4 Envelope Generators; 8 point loopable time/level Wave envelope generator, VCF and VCA ADSR envelopes and a free assignable loop- able 4 points time/level envelope
• LFOs: 2 LFOs with different waveforms
• Arpeggiator with 16 preset patterns, chord mode and the ability to synchronise to MIDI clock
Sound storage: 2048 Sound programs + 128 Multi programs
• Polyphony: 8/16 voices polyphony (16 voices available with the expansion board installed)
• Multitimbrality: 4 Parts (4 parts can be assigned to 4 individual stereo outputs)
• MIDI: USB 2.0 and DIN (5-pin DIN connector with In/Out/Thru)
• Compatible with classic Waldorf Microwave I sysex messages (sound bank transfer/sound transfer)
• SD Card for loading / storing user content as sound- banks and wavetables